Sesquicentenary Celebrations in Wellington for all who have a Josephite Heart
World-wide celebrations on 19th March 2016 will mark the 150th anniversary of the founding of the Sisters of St Joseph in Penola, South Australia.
On St Joseph’s Day 1866, Mary MacKillop, with the direction and encouragement of Fr Julian Tenison Woods, began to live as a religious under the patronage of St Joseph. On that day Mary wore a simple black dress and bonnet, attended Mass, taught the children and waited for God to show her the next step.
Many have followed in her footsteps since then - Sisters, Associates, Co-workers and all with a Josephite Heart. They currently live and minister in the Josephite spirit in many places throughout Australia, NZ, Ireland, Scotland, Peru, Brazil and East Timor, carrying on the Josephite legacy to the present day.
Throughout New South Wales Josephite Sisters, Associates, Partners in Ministry, Students and ExStudents, Former Sisters, Family and Friends, Priests and Religious, are invited to gather together in various centres to celebrate the founding of the Sisters of St Joseph 150 years ago.
To mark this occasion, Mass will be celebrated by Father Carl Mackander at St Patrick’s Church, Wellington, (58 Warne St) at 11.00 am.
Refreshments will be served at Wellington Civic Centre, 21 - 23 Swift Street, following the Mass.
For purposes of catering and printing please send your reply before 6 March to Sr Julie Simpson
Phone: 4677 1477 or 0418 674 452 and leave a message
Email: (remove XX) julie.simpson XX @sosj XX .org.au.
Post: Sr Julie Simpson, PO Box 13, Picton NSW 2571
Please accept this as YOUR INVITATION to attend the Sisters of St Joseph sesquicentenary celebrations. Come and join all those with a Josephite Heart in giving thanks for God’s generosity in calling the Sisters of St Joseph into being and for continuing the Josephite spirit in God’s mission. Let us together praise God’s abounding kindness and love! “Little did either of us then dream of what was to spring from so small a beginning”. (from Mary MacKillop’s letter to the Sisters on the 25th anniversary of the foundation of the Congregation).