Mendooran Centenary Celebrations
Bishop Michael McKenna, Bishop Kevin Manning (Bishop Emeritus Parramatta) and Father Carl Mackander (Parish Priest Dunedoo/Coolah) concelebrated Mass on Sunday 13th July 2014, to commemorate the centenary of the laying of the foundation stone of St Mary’s Catholic Church in Mendooran.
Over 100 visitors from Sydney, Bowral, Buladelah, Warren, Glenbrook, Dubbo, Ilford, Wellington, Dunedoo, Coonabarabran, Coolah and Bathurst joined the Mendooran community for Mass. A luncheon followed in the Mendooran Hall, giving time to reminisce and give thanks for the foresight and resilience of the pioneers of the district.
Special guests at the centenary celebrations included Sisters Mary Comer, Carmel Sheridan, Clare Hopper, Margaret Flood and Madeline Breen, along with Mr Peter Shinton, Mayor of Warrumbungle Shire, and his wife Julie. The Shire’s support was gratefully acknowledged by the Mendooran congregation.
Until the early 1920s, Mendooran was known as ‘Mundooran’. The foundation stone of St. Mary’s was laid by the Right Reverend Dr Dunne, 3rd Bishop of Bathurst on 15th July 1914. After a number of delays, due to the devastating impact of World War 1, the completed church was blessed on 17th October 1917.